The following steps are designed to efficiently guide you through obtaining a new business license. At any time during the process, our Business License Specialist is here to help.
- Planning staff will assist you at the Planning Counter in determining if the location you are considering for your business is zoned for that particular use.
- A planner will also advise you of any approvals that are required prior to starting your business (for example, a Conditional Use Permit).
- Planning staff are also available by telephone during regular business hours at (949) 497-0713.
- Once you have determined that the location you have selected for your business complies with the City's zoning requirements and you have obtained all necessary approvals, you can apply for a business license.
- If you are proposing interior or exterior construction improvements, you or your contractor can apply for building permits at the Building Counter at City Hall.
- Exterior construction improvements, including painting, usually require Design Review Board approval. (An Information Guide that describes the Design Review Board review and approval process is available at the Planning Counter.)
- If you have any questions about building permits, please call (949) 497-0715.
- Planning Department staff will advise you of the sign standards applicable to your business location. Most signs require Design Review Board approval.
Real Estate Broker Firm
Real Estate Sales Agent
Taxi and Passenger Vehicle
Lawn and Garden
Practice of Professions
Recreation & Entertainment
Rental of Personal Property
Out-of-Town General Contractor (Class A or B)
Out-of-Town Subcontractor (Class C or D)
General Contractor in Town (Class A or B)
Subcontractor in Town (Class C or D)
If you are a new artist working as a sole proprietor, click here.