The following steps are designed to efficiently guide you through obtaining a new business license. At any time during the process, our Business License Specialist is here to help.
Step 1: Zoning Compliance
- Planning staff will assist you at the Planning Counter in determining if the location you are considering for your business is zoned for that particular use.
- A planner will also advise you of any approvals that are required prior to starting your business (for example, a Conditional Use Permit).
- Planning staff are also available by telephone during regular business hours at (949) 497-0713.
Step 2: Business License Application
- Once you have determined that the location you have selected for your business complies with the City's zoning requirements and you have obtained all necessary approvals, you can apply for a business license.
Step 3: Tenant Improvements
- If you are proposing interior or exterior construction improvements, you or your contractor can apply for building permits at the Building Counter at City Hall.
- Exterior construction improvements, including painting, usually require Design Review Board approval. (An Information Guide that describes the Design Review Board review and approval process is available at the Planning Counter.)
- If you have any questions about building permits, please call (949) 497-0715.
Step 4: Signs
- Planning Department staff will advise you of the sign standards applicable to your business location. Most signs require Design Review Board approval.
Step 5: Apply Online
Click HERE to Apply Online!